So, it’s almost Fast Food Saturday here now! I can’t believe the week I’ve had. Crazy, crazy, crazy. This is an old recipe – something I made at the cafe last year. Thought I’d bring it out again because (a) The weather is totally like Spring now, even if it’s technically still two weeks away. And, (b) I’m too busy for those next two weeks to eat anything that takes more than ten minutes to prep! Long live the zucchini pasta, the master of fast raw foods! Amen.
- 1-2 zucchini (per person)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/2C olive oil
- Optional: 1 bunch rocket and 1 cup peas
- Spiralise or otherwise pasta-rise zucchini. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice asparagus and add to the zucchini spaghetti. Slicing lengthways looks much more attractive than little chunks.
- In a high speed blender, combine the avocado with the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy. If you don’t have a blender, you can mash together with a fork. Try to remove all lumps and get as creamy a consistency as you can.
- Finely chop garlic, and add to the avocado mix.
- Pour the avocado mix over the zucchini. Here comes the fun part – massage the sauce into the zucchini with your hands – be sure to wash them first! Put the bowl aside to rest for ten to fifteen minutes. This will allow the zucchini time to soften, so as to create more of a ‘cooked’ texture.
- If you are adding the rocket, now is the time to give it a wash to remove any dirt. Gently shake off excess water and roughly chop the leaves. Mix through with zucchini.
- If you are adding peas, get in your rocking chair and start shelling! Add to zucchini, and mix through.