These chilli corn cakes are a big favourite in our house. Any leftovers will keep for half a week or so, for future lunches – I’m about to have some now actually! They take about 5-10 minutes to prepare, plus dehydrating time – which is one of the reasons they are on my favourites list!
Don’t even bother to tell the kids/husband they are raw – they will never know 😉
- 2C corn kernals
- 1C golden flaxseed
- 2t ground cumin
- 1t sea salt
- 1/2t cayenne pepper or 1 fresh chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1/2-1 onion
- 1/2 bunch fresh coriander
- 2T psyllium
- 1-1 1/2C water
- Scrape corn kernals off, or cheat: buy the frozen organic kernals – most health food stores stock the Elgin ones. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Chop onion and coriander. Add to bowl.
- Grind flax in high speed blender until mealy. Add to bowl.
- Add all other ingredients to bowl, and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Line a dehydrator tray.
- Shape corn cakes by hand, and place on dehydrator tray.
- Dehydrate for 30 minutes each side.
- Serve with a huge, butt-kicking salad, or at least lots of fresh greens with lemon or lime juice, and avocado – if you are so lucky to have a ripe one this time of year!